Since we have been married Steve has been telling me how much he hates wind. I have always wondered where this strong hate for something like wind came from. Yesterday, December 1, 2011, I found out. We prepared for the wind storm as the news suggested those living in our area do. About 3:00 AM, I woke up and couldn't stop worrying about what else we maybe could have done. By 6:00 AM I woke Steve and he went out to see if there were a few more things we could do. He said it was hard to even breathe outside and came in with this look on his face and said I don't even want to tell you what is happenning to our roof. For him to go in and out I had to stand with my full body weight up against the door. The power went out at 6:30ish and Steve and I sat on our couch watching out our upper windows as the wind litterally destroyed parts of our roof. For the next few hours we watched and listened to shingles just fly off of our roof.
What I must say about yesterday is that we learned two things
1 - How great it is to see a neighborhood come out after the storm and check on one another, help one another pick up the damage. We met neighbors we had not had the chance to get to know.
2 - It is a reminder of how powerful nature is and how important it is to be prepared for an emergency. When original estimates for power were 48 hours - I was actually pretty surprised by how prepared Steve and I were to deal with that. Power was actually only out for 18 hours which was nice. Overall we feel pretty lucky, it could have been much worse and it is a good reminder.
We even got to have a little candlelight game night
No comments:
Post a Comment